MBM - Sewaholic Yaletown, dress version
As soon as I had the invitation, this fabric suggested itself. At first, I was thinking of make Style Arc Olivia, another pull on dress with an elastic waist. But I quite like the Yaletown mock-wrap and the sleeves on my blouse version, and I had heaps of fabric – I might be able to squeeze an Olivia out of it in due course anyway.
Because the hydrangeas were printed lengthways on the fabric, and I didn’t want them on their side, I had to cut out crossways, which meant cutting out on the flat in a single layer, basically. That took a bit of time. Apart from that, Yaletown is a pattern that comes together pretty quickly and painlessly.
As for fit: I'd already made an FBA for the blouse version. For this version I lengthened the sleeves and skirt by two centimetres each. That was it as far as fit alterations were concerned.
I considered underlining or lining the skirt to give the fabric a bit of heft and to counteract static, but in the end decided I wanted the skirt to sit in soft folds, so I went for a separate slip made from cotton voile instead. Nothing special there, just two seams, elastic waist and a hem, but it did the job.
Sewaholic suggests two ways of anchoring the wrap – a thread chain and button, or some judicious tacks. I went with the tacks on the blouse, but didn’t find them that successful – it was difficult to get the blouse over my head . So this time I went for the thread chain and button, even though if I had to name one sewing skill I don't have it is sewing thread chains. My mother is the Mistress of the Thread Chain, but I haven't inherited her facility here, sadly (An aside - Mum did a lot of embroidery as a child and teenager, and I suspect her superior hand sewing skills stem from a lot of practice at a young age). So I cranked out a few bumbling thread chains, for the front closure and as belt keepers, so I could wear this to lunch. If I ask nicely, maybe Mum will replace my efforts with some proper thread chains for me instead!