MBM - Style Arc Evie

I wrote in my last post, my 2015 wrap-up, that I tend to sew to plug holes in the wardrobe. The latest identified hole has been sleeveless tops to wear under jackets and cardigans.
To that end, here’s a nifty little sleeveless top pattern, Style Arc’s Evie, for knits.
I’m finding it hard to think of what to say about this pattern that isn’t obvious from the photos. What you see, is what you get, really: a loose, but not oversize, tank for knits, with bound neckline and armholes, with a bit of the high/low hemline happening. As straightforward a sew as you can ask for.
The only alteration I made to this pattern was to make an FBA. That’s it.
The walking foot did its job of keeping those stripes lined up. That foot was pricey, but every time I use it, I’m reminded it was worth every cent.
One other thing about this pattern is that it is the first knit pattern I’ve come across that instructs you to make a machine blind hem. I quite like a blind hem, and having done as I was told on this make, am a bit puzzled why it’s not used more often on knits. It worked really well here, and gets around the issue of tunnelling that you sometimes get when you use a twin needle on knits.
Style Arc Evie – a useful workhorse pattern. I’ve got some white cotton knit to make another soon.
With the Liesl + Co Girl Friday culottes
Stay tuned for Tessuti Kate, a sleeveless top pattern for wovens, which I have just muslined up to wear as a pj top…




Comments

  1. Great job ! My machine has an inbuilt walking foot and I use it all the time except for button holes because the foot won't go on with the walking foot engaged. Mind you I still stuff up stripes so you have done an amazing job here. I have used a blind stitch once with knits and you are right - I don't know why I don't use it more.this pattern will be great for using up remnants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of an in-built walking foot - it sounds very impressive!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a handy pattern to have Paola. Great job on the stripe matching. I have never used a machine blind hem on a knit. Must keep that in mind to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to read how you go with a blind hem stitch on knits.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for drawing my attention to this pattern - it looks like the perfect basic sleeveless top - I see these in my future! Yours looks great - love the stripes. As Janine says, perfect for using up remnants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From memory this only uses something like 0.8m of fabric, and you could always go for contrast bands if you have another smallish bit lying around.

      Delete
  4. Great stripe matching. I would not have thought to use a blind hem on a knit as I would have assumed it wouldn't stretch enough, but I must give it a try to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really thought about that - maybe it works because the blind hem stitch is based on a zig-zag stitch?

      Delete
  5. Great little singlet top and as you say walking foots are worth the price. Interesting about the blind hem, please share how wears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the top through the wash three times - so far, so good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3