MBM - another Liesl + Co Bento tee, and self-drafted pants.

After the Pine-Lime Splice merino cardi wrap, and the Orange Fanta Style Arc Harper jacket in 2014, here is another junk-food themed make from 2014:  another Liesl + Co Bento tee in Licorice Allsorts chevron stripe. The fabric  was bought from Tessuti online a few months ago.  



This my second go at this tee. The first,  striped pocketed version I blogged here. This is a simpler version, without pockets.
The only hiccup with this project is that I only noticed that the stripe runs with the grain when I came to cutting out. Why would they print with the stripe going lengthways? Mysteries! Anyway, did I want vertical chevron stripes on this tee? No. So I just cut it out with the grain going horizontally, which may or may not affect the wear. Time will tell.
Altogether, this is a quick serger project, done in about 90 minutes from go to done. And the sewing-time:wear ratio has already been gratifying.

While I had black thread in the overlocker, I finally got around to sewing these pants that I cut out months ago. Another quick project, I don’t know what took me so long to get around to it. 
I drafted the pattern from my sloper, added an elastic waist, and vents at the side hem. The fabric is a stretch bengaline from Spotlight. I had a similar pair of RTW pants that I wore until they met  their end after an encounter a too-hot iron.

Probably won’t be wearing these pants too much in this tropical-hot weather we’ve been having lately. Truth be told, I’m not a huge fan of bengaline – it has a plastic-y feel that I can only tolerate if it is coolish. But the stretch does have its advantages,  which outweight the less-than-perfect tactile qualities of bengaline.

After a good six weeks away from the sewing machine, I've just started my first project for 2015 - a dress I promised for my daughter before Christmas. I had no choice. Time was passing, my daughter was looking at me beseechingly. I just had to make a start, even though my enthusiasm has been at a low ebb. So I've moved my sewing machine to the little used dining room downstairs. My sewing room is in the loft of this house and it has been getting really hot in the afternoon and evening, my main sewing times.  Hopefully this move, along with the momentum of actually sewing something will help me restart my sewing energy.

Comments

  1. Hope your new sewing space helps with your productivity levels - I've discovered there's nothing so relentlessly demanding as a child that wants something! I'm a bit iffy about bengaline too because it seems so shiny and plastic but thought it was just me because people rave about the Style Arc bengaline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about children who want something! The project has involved quite a few muslins, as I come to grips with this ever-growing teenager. I think she is regretting her request a tiny bit as I demand she tries on muslins to assess yet another tweak. Hopefully, it will all be worth it in the end, both for her and me!

      Delete
  2. Love your Licorice Allsorts chevron striped top Paola. Those colours are gorgeous (or should I say...delicious). I have to say that I am a huge fan of stretch bengaline, especially from Style Arc. I find it comfortable to wear and it maintains it's shape, without bagging out. And it washes and wears very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to hear about the Style Arc bengaline - I hadn't heard that feedback, so maybe I'll give it a try along with one of the Style Arc patterns.

      Delete
  3. Love the top. I was very tempted by this fabric too. Plus, who doesn't like Licorice Allsorts? ( well perhaps quite a few people, but I'm not one of them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of the Licorice Allsort, as my children can attest. A chocolate covered Licorice Allsort is about as good as it gets in the lolly area for me!

      Delete
  4. Yum, I do like your top. ;) And I also hope your new sewing space is cool & makes the return enjoyable. I had jeans on again today, I do wish summer would make up it's mind down here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sewing loft could double as a sauna on some of the really hot days we've been having. Today is pretty cool too though.

      Delete
  5. Lovely Licorice Allsorts top and your pants look pretty good. I haven't tr any of the Bengaline from either source but have seen some of the Style Arc one and it drapes quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon and thanks for your feedback on the Style Arc bengaline. I definitely will have to investigate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3