MBM - Simplicity 2603 in Pine Lime Splice Merino


 Simplicity 2603 is a cardi-wrap pattern which was one of the Patterns of 2009 on Pattern Review. I've made two of these in merino knit before in pre-blog days, and I have worn them a lot. They are great indoors on their own, or outdoors as a layer under jackets. That waterfall effect at centre front gives the look of a scarf under a jacket. I understand the pattern in now OOP, which is a bit sad. It's a cornerstone of my winterwear.
So this is Number 3. I made View D of the pattern which eliminates a wide cuff, and has a less flamboyant "waterfall" than View A. I have made both View A and D before, and while you are able to arrange the waterfall in all sorts of ways, the fact is I never do, and find the extra volume a bit irritating. So View D it is.
The fabric was purchased back in April from Tessuti. Tessuti called the colour Citron. You could call it chartreuse. My daughter took one look and called it Pine Lime Splice. If you are not from Australia or New Zealand, this is what I'm talking about.

Yeah, it's a bit bright, but I really like colour, and crave it in winter when it seems to be black and grey as far as the eye can see. Anyway, I bought this colour with the thought of making a Renfrew with the cowl, but chickened out. I decided I needed to break up that colour near my face. So a cardi-wrap it is.


I love my cardi-wraps. They are an easy sew, although the hems are a bit fiddly. And they do a lot of duty, for both casual and more dressed up occasions.
There will be more...

Comments

  1. Beautiful cardigan Paola. A lovely colour to brighten up those dismal wintery days and who doesn't love a pine lime splice...so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely a fan of the pine lime splice. Yum.

      Delete
  2. That's a great colour. What a shame the pattern is OOP. I've been wearing mine all day today and have worn it a lot since it got colder. I wasn't a huge fan of this wrap when I made it at first but I've quickly become a fan. So warm, so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cardi wraps get worn a lot too, for the same reason - warm and comfy.

      Delete
  3. Nice colour on you, almost sunshine-ey. I love my cardi wrap as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie. I was a bit worried about the colour, because I cut this out when I was still getting over the vertigo I had a few weeks ago. As I was cutting, I was feeling quite nauseous and was a bit worried it was the colour making me feel ill, it's a bit fluoro IRL.

      Delete
  4. Ah, the pine lime splice! Idea summer food - ice cream is one of the essential food groups, isn't it? - to accompany that delightful cardie. It's great when things can be tissied up or worn casually and still look fantastic plus offer lots of "arranging" options, so this looks like an absolute winner on every front. I want one! (Mind you, I am considerably shorter, so I steer away from that style of clothing because it does me no favours; but, you know, sometimes ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pattern Review has 113 reviews of this pattern, it's definitely a winner.A real workhorse dressed up as a show pony!

      Delete
  5. Great coloured cardi, it is a fantastic pattern and like you there will be more in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see myself making this again and again and again too.

      Delete
  6. I love this colour Paola, it looks fantastic on you. You're right about needing colour in winter, at Wynyard station this morning everyone was wearing black and grey but I had a bright red coat on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about city workers and black/grey. I was in a local restaurant on Saturday night though, and it was the same! I wonder why people seem to have an aversion to colour in winter?

      Delete
    2. Yes, you'd think we'd all be looking for extra colour in winter, wouldn't you? I remember moving from Rome to London and being absolutely horrified by the drabness of the Londoners' clobber. And Rome had been dull enough in many respects, but, yeah, I just about died from depression merely looking at all those dull, businesslike black and navy and charcoal and occasionally light grey overcoats. :(

      Delete
    3. I lived in the UK in the early 90s, and my office colleagues were always remarking on the red coat I bought to help me get over the long winter blahs.

      Delete
  7. I really love the "waterfall" cardigan look! And this colour is stunning. Might have to source some fabric for spring / summer! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3