MBM - Maria Denmark Olivia Oversized Tee

A couple of posts ago, I wrote about the comprehensive hash I made of sewing up a straightforward tee, the Maria Denmark Olivia Oversized Tee. The problems did not stem from the pattern itself, I hasten to add. The problems were totally Me-Made (in keeping with the them of the month): a willing blindness in ignoring the fact that the stripey fabric I was using was way off grain, compounded by cutting the waistband way too short.
Now is the the time to redeem myself..


The Olivia is not unlike the Sewaholic Renfrew in that all the edges are finished with bands. This is the short sleeved version of the pattern. There is another view with three-quarter sleeves.
The advantage over the Renfrew is that there are no sleeves to deal with, so it sews up even faster.
I sewed a size 40 at the bust, grading out to a 42 at the hip. I did not make my customary FBA, and it doesn't seem to need one.
It's called an Oversized Tee, but I would call it more a relaxed fit tee. There is a nice amount of ease without it being overwhelming. And there is waist shaping too - I like that.
Still, don't do what I did - I forgot to add seam allowances to the main pattern pieces, so I just sewed with 1/4"seam allowances, with hasn't interfered too much with the silhouette. Confusingly, the dimensions Maria Denmark gives for the bands include seam allowances. Be alert for that one!



I used my walking foot to sew up this t-shirt, which helped with stripe matching, although the stripes at the shoulder seam are different colours. Don't know how I could have gotten around that one.



And the back view.
Happy with this make, and given my current penchant for the stripey t-shirt with jeans for work wear, be prepared to see more of this t-shirt between now and the end of Me Made May.


Comments

  1. This is really nice Paola. I love how you have incorporated the blue stripe in the neckband, and I love the relaxed fit without being baggy. I must add this pattern to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm happy with how the neckline band turned out, although I have to say it was a bit of a happy accident. I didn't really plan it that way.

      Delete
  2. I like this - very well redeemed! I actually really like the matching but different colour stripes on the shoulders too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it doesn't look too bad, does it?

      Delete
  3. This is really cute! And the stripe placement is just perfect :) I recently fell in love with the MariaDenmark Kirsten top and have been meaning to make this one as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely encourage you to try this pattern. I've made both, and I think I prefer this one.

      Delete
  4. what almost endless possibilities with that fabulous fabric, and you seem to have capitalised on all of them. It looks fantastic. If it hadn't suddenly turned cold here, I'd be mightily tempted to try something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicity. This is such a quick sew, that I'm sure you could run one up in a few hours, in time to wear it before it turns cold...if it ever does.

      Delete
  5. Love the stripes and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3