MBM - Colette Patterns Mabel skirt

 When Colette Patterns released the Mabel  pattern a month or so ago, my thoughts were "Straight skirt in a knit. Move on." Not much there to interest me, but then I bought a remnant of digital Ponti knit fabric during my flying visit to Tessuti a little while ago, and the pattern became a lot more interesting, as I could really only get a straight skirt out of the remnant.
Still I debated buying the pattern. I have a skirt sloper and how easy would it be to adapt? In the end, I bought the pattern because 1) I'm too lazy to do even the small amount of patternmaking that would entail and 2) my daughter expressed mild interest in making the pattern as a first sewing project. 2) especially sold me. But first, of course, I had to give the pattern a try...

There is not much to say about this skirt. It is a straight skirt with a contoured waistband. The pattern has three variations. It's drafted short with the Colette Patterns target market in mind. I'm happy to acknowledge I'm not in that market- I added 15cm (6") to bring this pattern to just at my knee. I cut the size according to my measurements and it was pretty much spot-on with regard to ease.

 Colette claims you could make this in an hour or so. I don't think this is an exaggeration. I made this in a couple of 15 minute sessions over a few days totally on the overlocker. The most time I spent was on figuring out the pattern placement - I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with.


I've never worn a knit skirt like this before - it certainly helps you confront your curves. And it is super comfy. I plan to make a few more of these.


I love the autumn colours - in my garden and in the outfit. Worn with a Sewaholic Renfrew in merino wool.

Comments

  1. Great outfit. I love ponte skirts for winter.
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to cotton on to ponte, as it were!

      Delete
  2. Cute skirt. I have all the same reservations but it does seem to be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really good. I have the same thoughts about buying these patterns, but really, drafting is quite time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I know what to do, just don't feel like doing it. I'd rather be sewing!

      Delete
  4. You pretty much summed up why I haven't bought the pattern, but I still don't have a skirt like it either LOL. Yours is really pretty, and if it was on the cover of the pattern, I would have been pushed over to buy it! Still may when it gets to the fall time of year again. I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind. Fiddling around with a sloper is a bit of a barrier to me too!

      Delete
  5. Great choice! I do love a good Tessuti remnant and Mabel has led to having a skirt with minimal effort = win!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've lucked in on the Tessuti remnant table. I think the remnant was something like $21?? I saw it on the website for $49 a metre, so it was a better buy than I thought!

      Delete
    2. and belatedly, this has inspired me to buy Mabel, now... I'll keep my eye out for more ponte on the Tessuit remnants table ;)

      Delete
  6. Very cute! And that fabric is so fun - great placement on the skirt as well. I also wasn't super excited about the pattern...but with all the cute versions popping up, I may need to give in :) I'm also too lazy to draft a simple tube skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your ponte skirt Paola. Great job and I hope your daughter gives it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I've seen some of that nice ponti show up finally at the local Spotlight, so I think I'll take my girl on a shopping trip soon to get her psyched into it!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic Ponte skirt and love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely fabric and skirt. I have now downloaded the pattern after seeing how great yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to seeing your version soon, Sue.

      Delete
  10. Your 'Mabel' sold me on this pattern! A gorgeous make!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

MBM - Pyjamas, featuring Tessuti Kate top