MBM- A Closet Case Files Bombshell

Well, here is something the younger version of me would have run a mile from - having a photo taken in a swimming costume. Forget about putting it on the internet (even if it had been invented). But one of the best things about getting older is that you get to a point where you just don't care anymore, so here it is....

The pattern

Closet Case Files Bombshell

Why this pattern?

I really liked the Bombshell when it came out in the past northern summer, but not anticipating that I would need a new swimsuit anytime soon, I filed it into the "maybe one day file".
Three things brought this pattern to the top of the list:
1. A very hot summer, when I seem to have lived in my swimsuit at times. Now looking a bit tired.
2. A bit of shopping reminded me how elusive swimmers with coverage are, and the ones that I could find were really not to my taste. Not to mention the price of these things. We are talking well over $100.
3. Finding this nice bit of  vaguely vintage-y swimsuit lycra on a recent visit to Pitt Trading. As soon as I saw it, it had "Bombshell" written all over it.

The fabric

Swimsuit lycra and lining from Pitt Trading

Fit notes

Well, I had no notion of how to adjust for fit on this one, so I just cut according to my measurements and hoped for the best. It seemed to work.

Design changes

None

Construction changes

 I followed the instructions pretty faithfully, and consulted the sewalong posts on the Closet Case Files website, which I would highly recommend. The website includes additional bits of info which were really helpful.
I elected to put in bra cups, and the website has the detail on how to deal with this.

High fives to me for...

Making a swimsuit. This is a project I was a bit intimidated by, but it really was just a matter of following the instructions. Not rocket surgery stuff.
Getting those gathers reasonably even. This is probably the most time consuming aspect of making up this pattern.

What was I thinking moments...

Surprisingly, given the scope in this pattern for complete stuff ups, nothing. Yay.

Will I be making this again?

One day, in the future, possibly. Not a big priority.

Anything to change next time?

Source better bra cups. The ones I found aren't up to the, ahem, task.




In contravention of my policy of using universal needles on knits (see last post), I did as I was told on this one and used a stretch needle. I don't know if it made a difference. But I still used straight stitch.


Comments

  1. Oh YAY! That looks absolutely wonderful Paola! So very impressed. I have one of these cut out at the moment (it's been cut out for a month or so, waiting, waiting, waiting) and it's very inspiring to see one so lovely. Great sewing, and great swimsuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lara, get to it! you won't be sorry! Can't wait to see your version soon.

      Delete
  2. That's a sweet pattern and you have chosen a lovely fabric - sweet cossie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I agree about the pattern - it is so feminine, nothing really like it in RTW as far as I've seen.

      Delete
  3. Awesome- the swimsuit, the fabric, the fit, and you in it! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fabulous! Nice fabric, good pattern, the neckline is attractive, and you make it look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the brightness of the fabric and the shape of the design. Nice work!

    A sort of afterthought about using ballpoint needles and so on: I have found with some of my knits that there's less drag if I use the ballpoints. When I did my stretch sewing course, we used straight stitch except in rare cases, such as maybe using a zigzag to attach elastic but even that was optional. The only trick involved was to stretch the fabric a bit (obviously not enough to distort it out of shape permanently) so that the stitches could take the strain. I often think that there are people out there - who knows who they are? - who make sewing with knits sounds terribly difficult. It's not, is it? (It can't be or I wouldn't be doing it, since I'm the laziest stitcher on the planet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Felicity. No, sewing with knits isn't difficult at all. The hardest thing I find is cutting out as I find some difficult to lie flat etc. Once I've done that, I'm awat.
      I think I naturally stretch the fabric a bit, as I don't have an extender table on this machine, so it tends to hang on both sides as I sew.
      I don't want to sound like a needle pedant - I totally get that ballpoint and/or jersey needles are useful. After all, not all machines and fabrics are the same, and some do better in different circumstances. Whatever works!

      Delete
  6. Isn't it great to sew your own swimsuit and be free to make what you like? I did this a few years ago after years of trepidation ;) then found it wasn't so bed! Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I didn't have high hopes with this one to be honest, but am really happy with what I ended up with!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic swim suit and the perfect fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely! I think if you can conquer sewing a swim suit you can make practically anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, Kristy - making this has boosted my confidence in my skills a lot.

      Delete
  9. You have done a fantastic job on this swimsuit Paola. Love the fabric...so pretty and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think the fabric really suits this vintage style. I was very happy when I found it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

MBM - Pyjamas, featuring Tessuti Kate top